[Sca-cooks] OT- long distance hiking trails

Gretchen Beck grm at andrew.cmu.edu
Mon Apr 30 15:47:00 PDT 2007

--On Monday, April 30, 2007 6:17 PM -0400 Daniel  Phelps <phelpsd at gate.net>
wrote:

> Read "A walk in the Woods" by Bill Bryson.  He talks about various
> sections of the AT.  I would suggest the southern section from Georgia
> into NC.
>
> Daniel

Just curious -- how far are you planning to test-walk, and how much "not
highway" are you looking for?  If you don't mind some modern and a lot of
not, there is the Laurel Highlands Trail in Western PA. 70 miles long (so a
few days to a week, depending on how fast you walk and how far you want to
go each day), and lots of nearby stuff (including Falling Water, the Frank
Lloyd Wright house that's built over the waterfall). A nice set of trail
maps can be found here:
<http://www.franusich.com/trails/lhht/>

I second "A walk in the woods". It's a great read (well, anything by Bill
Bryson is a good read), even if you don't plan on taking a hike down the
Trail.

toodles, margaret