[Sca-cooks] Alternate title

Bronwynmgn at aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Mon Apr 30 17:54:35 PDT 2007

In a message dated 4/30/2007 4:12:52 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
kiridono at gmail.com writes:

<<Does
anyone have any suggestions for an alternate title for  the person who checks
people in to an SCA event.  Our person uses the  term "troll" which is
beginning to grate on my nerves...almost as badly as  "feastocrat"...though
at least troll is a real word, and one that was  probably used in period,
though not for this purpose.>>

I believe that the period term for the person in charge of access to the
gate of a keep or monastery was "porter".  Unfortunately, at least in the  East,
that term has been designated for the Kingdom level officer in charge of
helping with access for those with disabilities, so it's not really  available.
How about gatekeeper for the person and gate for the  place?  It's better than
troll, and what I am trying to teach myself to  use.

Brangwayna