[Sca-cooks] Fermentation Sponge Question

Holly Stockley hollyvandenberg at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 1 17:51:01 PDT 2007

Yes, and you've caught me in mid-experiment.  ;-)

I've been rather methodically comparing sponge methods and ingredients.  I
haven't noticed any qualitative difference in sponges made with say,
unbleached bread flour vs. unbleached all purpose.  Bleached or brominated
flours severely inhibit sponge activity, at least in the starting phases.
Natural yeast sponges (i.e. desems) work MUCH better with freshly ground
flour made from organic wheat.  I've noticed flavor differences and texture
differences in the bread made from red vs white and hard vs. soft,  but it
doesn't seem to make a lot of difference in the sponge unless the sponge
forms a very high proportion of your total flour bill for the bread.

Sponges based on ale yeasts give a higher rise and finer grain than desems -
at first.  They seem to have a tendency to sort of attenuate and peter out
if you try to maintain them over long periods of time.  Which isn't to say
they won't RISE, but they certainly don't perform as well as the initial
culture did.

I haven't played with other grains much, yet.  I don't care for rye bread.
And barley doesn't bring a lot of gluten to the party, so you have to cut it
with something or you tend to kind of get a brick.

I suppose I should write everything up methodically when I get done
playing....  umm...  at some point.

Femke

- Douglas Adams