[Sca-cooks] Cooking as a Hobby, was: Rant: And speaking of cooking equipment...

Vitaliano Vincenzi vitaliano at shanelambert.com
Tue Apr 3 09:43:01 PDT 2007

I really do have to agree here, cooking for me IS a hobby, even if it is
my responsibility to prepare the evening meals for the family. The best
part about making cooking your hobby is that YOU get to choose what to
prepare, you don't have to cook to the whim of customers or the boss,
because YOU are the boss. If it were any other way, it wouldn't be
enjoyable and therefore would not be hobby.

I have worked in the dreaded fast food joints (NO MORE WHOPPERS PLEASE),
in small cafe's, a coffee house or two, and even a 5 Star Steak house in
Chicago - but that was all WORK to me. Although I enjoyed 75% of it,
there is that dreaded 25% of the work that just isn't fun and not
something you look forward to, but it has to be done. The old line from
the TV commercial, "Time to make the donuts", is NOT intended to be funny.

So now, I cook at home and at events and make an effort to enjoy it. For
me, that is a hobby - something I don't have to do but enjoy doing. If I
ever had to go back to COOKING as my job again, I would probably stop
doing it at home and events, because it would once again become work and
therefore no longer enjoyable.

So, for me, cooking is a hobby, and if you see me enjoying an event you
will most likely find me in the kitchen, which is where I was this past
weekend for much of the event - learning and sharing. Isn't that what we
are supposed to be doing here in the SCA? Learning and sharing? Doesn't
that in itself make it a hobby?

--
Lord Vitaliano Vincenzi
aka Shane Lambert