[Sca-cooks] Rant: And speaking of cooking equipment...

Vitaliano Vincenzi vitaliano at shanelambert.com
Tue Apr 3 10:26:51 PDT 2007

In a step that will surely get me chastised again, I will share my
philosophy of what the word "hobby" means to me:

Hobby: noun - an activity or interest pursued for pleasure or relaxation
and not as a main occupation
  - as stated at http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/hobby

Ok, so with that definition we can derive that I enjoy cooking as a
hobby, as I gain nothing but pleasure from it. For ME, cooking is a hobby.

Now, Adamantius is still a chef, as Saint Phlip stated below, so while
Adamantius is working and earning a living as a chef, it is NOT a hobby.
However, cooking at home or at an SCA event, or at a friends house, or
whatever while NOT getting paid for it could be considered a hobby,
based on the definition above. But wait, there's more...

If Adamantius uses those times, cooking at home, events, etc., as
practice for cooking as a profession, or to use friends and other
SCAdians as guinea pigs for new recipes to be used at work, then it
certainly is not a hobby. It gets difficult to discern if cooking is a
hobby for this particular person.

However, this whole discussion sprouted from Adamantius getting upset
because someone said "it is an expensive hobby." Sure, for Adamantius it
may not be a hobby full time, but to get upset over someone commenting
that it may be a hobby seems a bit over the top for me. But then again I
am not a professional chef, and certainly not in the same league as
Adamantius, so perhaps I just don't get it.

Oh well, off to cook something for lunch. I really do enjoy my hobbies.

--
Lord Vitaliano Vincenzi
aka Shane Lambert