[Sca-cooks] Cooking as a Hobby, was: Rant: And speaking of cooking equipment...

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Tue Apr 3 10:35:24 PDT 2007

> While I have to agree with the idea that a lot of the cooking done (yes even
> feasts for many people) could be thought of as a "hobby" I do want to say
> that, I know where Master A was coming from.  When many people think of a
> hobby they think of dear ol' dad in his workshop knocking out a funky
> looking little spice rack (or birdhouse).

*grin* I think of hobbies as things that consume mass quantities of
time, money and space in one's house, and require specialized circles of
friends to discuss them with, but which provide an excellent focus for
gift-giving. Consider the cost of dear ol' dad's workbench, tools, etc.
Or a knitter's stash. (I live with a fiber artist. I'm an herbalist.
Some of my stash needs watering... )

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net