[Sca-cooks] Period Greek Recipes

Vitaliano Vincenzi vitaliano at shanelambert.com
Tue Apr 3 12:25:52 PDT 2007

What gave me the inspiration to start looking was this web site:

http://www.explorecrete.com/cuisine/souvlaki.html

Obviously there isn't much in the line of documentation there, which is
why there will be a trip to our main library later this week to further
the research. I was hoping to find a little help here in terms of books
or resources to look for while I am there.

The addition of the Pita's may be late or post-period, but the web site
above mentions them and references 'Athenaeus, The Deipnosophists, 12,
516d', which is at the very least a glimmer of hope. Now to just find
further documentation - looks like book 12, right?

Remember that my feast will be a bit different, because we won't have
anything from "Europe" in the feast, as is the norm. I am taking a
little "SCA License" (does that exist) and pretending to send people out
to find food of other areas. I would still like to have food that WAS
eaten during SCA Period, even if that food may not have been a staple in
what we know as Europe. Perhaps I am overstepping my bounds as Feast
Steward, but everyone I talk to about this seems excited and can't wait
to partake.

Now I just need to find the time to get all of this research done. :)

--
Lord Vitaliano Vincenzi
aka Shane Lambert