[Sca-cooks] Fermentation Sponge Question

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Wed Apr 4 20:41:29 PDT 2007

For the sponge, the gluten content shouldn't matter.  Sponges are meant to
feed yeast growth, which means the available sugars are more important than
the gluten.  When you use the sponge to leaven a batch of bread the gluten
level of the flour becomes an issue.  If you wanted to boost a sponge, I
think a teaspoon of diamalt added to the flour would do more than the gluten
level of the flour.

Bear