[Sca-cooks] African dish

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 6 01:43:17 PDT 2007

--- Sarah Fitzpatrick <fitz at ccountry.net> wrote:

> There is an northern African dish (Algeria?) with the crust made of a soft
> dough dabbed on a hot pan (a wok like turned upside dowm over the heat
> source) then pealed off and stacked. The pie is made of chicken, almonds
> layers of dough and I forget what else.  Maybe 10 sheets, filling and
> repeat. It is in the Time Life Cookbook for Africa.
> Sarah

I believe that the "hot pan" you are thinking of is a tajine or tagine, which is a ceramic
pan with a ceramic cone-shaped chimney to bake or stew foods without having to stir
them.  Almost all the North African tajines are ceramic, but there are metal ones made
in America and Europe using the same principles.

Also, the recipe that you are thinking of is Moroccan and is called bstilla or bistilla
or bisteeya or pastilla.  It is believed to have come to Morocco from Andalucia.  And
the pastry used is called "trid".  According to Claudia Roden in her new book called
"Arabesque", pages 66 through 68.  Claudia Roden is a very noted food historian who
specializes in Mediterranian foods.  Her new book covers Moroccan, Turkish and Lebanese
foods.

Huette

My thoughts are whirled like a potter's wheel;   King Henry VI, part I: I, v
http://www.twoheartsentwinedpottery.com/