[Sca-cooks] Ducklings and goslings and poults, Oh My ;-)

Saint Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Fri Apr 6 19:42:04 PDT 2007

Well, I already lost one. One of the turkey poults just up and died.
Rob says they'll do that, for no apparent reason, from stress. Was a
bit concerned about the black ducks at first- they started acting
really odd. I figured since the geese made a pretty good mess of the
waterer, they might be cold, so I held them in my hand for a while,
and they straightened right up- been fine ever since.

I'm really liking the goslings, though- they're pretty full of
themselves ;-) My two now have red and green spiked hairdos- I wanted
to mark them, since I want them people friendly- the other two are
destined for the freezer, unless I can talk Margali out of it. The
turkeys are/were destined for the freezer too, so I'm not particularly
emotionally involved with them, but I still didn't like finding the
one dead.

Yesterday, one of my acquaintances from the Freecycle Cafe gave me 14
eggs to hatch. Because of the weather, I haven't been able to set up
nests so I can have my broody hens set them, but we'll do that
tomorrow. She gave me 6 Americaunas (they lay the colored eggs), and 6
cuckoo Marans (they lay very deep brown eggs) as well as a Rhode
Istand Red and a mutt. It looks like I'm building quite a flock ;-)
And today, my girls gave me 11 eggs- a new record. Half of them were
bantie eggs, too, so it looks like last year's babies are producing.

The geese, the Tufted Romans, btw, are a period breed, and the Marans
are too, according to the websites I've been scanning. Amazing what
this hobby gets us into ;-)

And, remember, this all started out because Cogburn needed a couple
hens to keep him warm through the winter. Jeeeeeeezzzzeee Johann, it's
ALL your fault!!!!

--
Saint Phlip

Heat it up
Hit it hard
Repent as necessary.

Priorities:

HIPAA Penalties

42USC1320d-6 Wrongful disclosure of individually identifiable health information

(a) Offense

A person who knowingly and in violation of this part-

(1) uses or causes to be used a unique health identifier;

(2) obtains individually identifiable health information relating to
an individual; or

(3) discloses individually identifiable health information to another person,

shall be punished as provided in subsection (b).

(b) Penalties

A person described in subsection (a) shall-

(1) be fined not more than $50,000, imprisoned not more than 1 year, or both;