[Sca-cooks] Phyllo definition

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Sat Apr 7 06:41:16 PDT 2007

On Apr 7, 2007, at 4:46 AM, Huette von Ahrens wrote:

> --- "Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius" <adamantius1 at verizon.net>
> wrote:
>

>> My favorite is when people forget that the OED is basically a
>> glorified Wikipedia, originally created by a committee of amateurs
>> which included one guy in a padded cell, and the ultimate Open Source
>> document. I understand my suggested change got through, anyway.
>
> Boy, you are talking heresy here... You make the OED sound like it
> is or was never
> checked or documented at all.

Umm, I don't recall saying anything of the kind...

>   How wrong you are!  The first edition took more than
> fifty years to compile.
>
> And are you saying that Schizophrenics aren't capable of making
> valid contibutions
> to a dictionary or science?  Because John Nash was a Schizophrenic
> and he was rewarded
> with a Nobel Prize for his work.
>
> William Chester Minor was a Yale graduate

Loath as I am to cast aspersions on Yale, I must in good conscience
refer you to their most currently famous and influential alumnus.
PTBTBTBTBPPPHHTBTB!!!

> and a surgeon, who was a Schizophrenic [although
> he wasn't diagnosed as such until late in his life, when such a
> diagnosis was understood].
> But he wasn't kept in a "padded cell".

Not permanently, no. Just at various times. He was also a murderer,
as I recall, in case anyone was wondering what he was
institutionalized for without a diagnosis of schizophrenia. I
actually rather like the man, and consider it a terrible shame and
waste that contemporary medical science wasn't able to do more for
him. But he was what he was.

>   According to Wikipedia, "As he had his army pension
> and was not judged dangerous, he was given rather comfortable
> quarters and was able to buy and read books."

Are you sure you want to rely on the source I was comparing the OED
to when I made it sound like it wasn't checked? ;-)

> Heresy!  You speak heresy!  I demand that you be tested in a trial
> by fire!  You will only
> be exonerated if you can jump into a hot oven and come out again
> unscathed!

Been there, done that. That was even an entirely separate occasion
from the time I singed my eyebrows.

Adamantius

brioche!" / "If there's no bread, you have to say, let them eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782

Holt, 07/29/04