[Sca-cooks] OT/OOP NYT Article on Math Formula For the Perfect Bacon Sandwich...

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Wed Apr 11 06:03:51 PDT 2007

On Apr 11, 2007, at 8:31 AM, Johnna Holloway wrote:

> But that is British bacon and not American style Bacon.
> The BBC News
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/west_yorkshire/6538643.stm?ls
> has a good picture what their bacon sandwich looks like.
> http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2007160287,00.html

Yeah, the Times had a photo, too. We'd probably think of it as
griddle-fried ham or Canadian Bacon on a roll.

By the way, the article's mention of Brown Sauce is to a sauce that
is brown, but more like A-1 Steak Sauce or HP Sauce than the English
name for Sauce Espagnole, which is also brown sauce, since it is made
from brown stock, brown roux, caramelized vegetables, mushrooms,
tomato, etc. They're talking about a sort of sweet-and-sour brown goo
from a bottle.

> We must insist that scientists on this side of the pond take up the
> challenge and do a study using our traditional bacon.

That had occurred to me, too, but I also wonder how many Americans
eat that many bacon sandwiches (I mean, straight bacon, without egg,
or lettuce and tomato, chicken, turkey, etc.) This would presumably
affect the results somewhat, as would the possibility that American
sandwiches can tend to be more about the filling than they are about
the bread -- I mean, I'm sure you can get a corned beef sandwich in
the UK, but it probably isn't the monstrosity you routinely get at
Katz's Deli. I'm not sure where, in the meat-to-bread ratio, a bacon
butty falls.

Adamantius (hmmm... I do have some back bacon in there somewhere...)

brioche!" / "If there's no bread, you have to say, let them eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782

Holt, 07/29/04