[Sca-cooks] Dem buns

Elaine Koogler kiridono at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 15:16:54 PDT 2007

It might still be period, depending on what was omitted.  In a couple of
cases, I've omitted ingredients that were dangerous, possibly toxic and/or
totally unavailable...like ground pearls...or ambergris!  However, when I
judged a cooking competition this past weekend at Coronation, I was somewhat
bemused by an entrant who substituted white wine for the grape juice the
recipe called for (and yes, even the unredacted translation said "grape
juice.")  Her reasoning was that she didn't have any grape juice in the
house and didn't want to make a trip to the store!!!

I can understand possibly making a substitution of a less expensive
ingredient for something more expensive when cooking a feast...but for a
competition???!!!

Kiri