[Sca-cooks] Fwd: A.Word.A.Day--albedo

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Mon Apr 16 10:42:13 PDT 2007

I looked this up and albedo is not that common a word, nor is it very old.
OED does mention this meaning for albedo* *
A white structure, tissue, or material (Webster 1934); spec. the white
pith of the inner peel of citrus fruits.*
*The first quote is 1949 J. B. S. Braverman /Citrus Products/ iii. 77
Penetrating further into the peel of citrus fruit, one comes to the
white, spongy, parenchymatous layer (mesocarp), generally known as the
albedo.
As for it meaning whiteness as in astronomy, that only dates to 1859.

By the way, Pith meaning core goes back to the 800's.

Johnnae

Sandra Kisner wrote: regarding

albedo