[Sca-cooks] OT/OOP NYT Article on Math Formula For the PerfectBacon Sandwich...

Nick Sasso grizly at mindspring.com
Sun Apr 22 06:51:16 PDT 2007

-----Original Message-----
Why are you calling this a "monstrosity"? I thought there was only
two Katz' delis. The original one here in Austin and one his son
opened up in Houston. They've never sounded like a chain, although
they do talk a lot about their food being New York style. Is there a
NY Katz's deli the one here is based on?

And I like the Katz' deli corned beef sandwich, although I like their
Rueben even better.>  > > > > > > > > >

By default, I assume anything dealing with a deli or pastrami on rye to be
oringinated in New York City somewhere.  The thought that a 'jewish' deli
sprang fully formed from Zeus' head in Houston, Texas, is a little amusing
to me.  A taqueria or steakhouse, yes.

Katz's in NYC appears to be somewhat akin to Mecca for kosher deli's across
the coutry.  Food Newtwork even did some sort of show about deli's using
Katz's as the centerpiece, anchor, for the segment.  They showed all the
celebrities and dignitaries that do or used to frequent the place.  I seem
to recall an emphasis on their matzo ball soup that is the perfect
consistency.

niccolo difrancesco
(Corned Beef on Rye with brown mustard and tomato)