[Sca-cooks] Use of fresh juices in period?

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Sun Apr 22 13:29:20 PDT 2007

One finds earlier mentions.
Many men putte þerto in somer þe Iuse of lymons or of orenges. [Many men
put thereto in summer the juice of lemons or of oranges.]

Chauliac 2(Paris angl. 25 156a/b) c1425

Chauliac died in Avignon, on July 25, 1368.
2 (Paris angl. 25 156a/b) is the manuscript designation by the Middle
English Dict.
In this case-- Title: Guy de Chauliac's Grande Chirurgie (ME version 2)
[*Chauliac(2)] The preferred text being
Paris, Bibliothèque Nationale angl.25 (Pref.MS)
c1425 is the date which is after his death, so this is a later copy.
There is this book --B. Wallner, The Middle English Translation of Guy
de Chauliac's Grande Chirurgie, Acta Universitatis Lundensis n.f., avd.
1, bd. 56, nr. 5 (1964). odd pp. 3-149.
Johnnae