[Sca-cooks] OT/OOP NYT Article on Math Formula For the PerfectBacon Sandwich...

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sun Apr 22 12:53:52 PDT 2007

Jews are a very small minority (less than 1 percent, IIRC) in Texas, but
they've been there a long time, the first being conversos that arrived
during the 15th and 16th Centuries.  The practice of Judaism was forbidden
in Texas until 1821 when Mexico became an independent state.

There was a small but steady influx of Jews among the immigrants from Europe
between the late 18th Century and the Civil War, establishing themselves as
landowners, shopkeepers and professionals.  Adolphus Sterne, who helped
finance the Texas War of Independence and was a Rhinelander, Albert Moses
Levy, chief surgeon to the Army of the Republic, Henri De Castro, and the De
Cordova family of Waco are among the best known.

The majority of the current Jewish population are descendents of Ashkenazi
Jews from Eastern and Central Europe who immigrated to Texas after the Civil
War (and into the 20th Century).

Bear