[Sca-cooks] Other list

Maggie MacD. maggie5 at cox.net
Mon Apr 23 00:18:39 PDT 2007

At 11:44 PM 4/22/2007,Saint Phlip said something like:
>On 4/23/07, Wanda Pease <wandap at hevanet.com> wrote:
> > You did get in at a particularly bad time Gunthar.  I think that the how to
> > make a CostCo Garage look period hit someone on a sensitive spot and they
> > freaked.  The rest of the list went off the deep end and wallowed
> around for
> > a while.  Same thing happens with costume lists every once in a while when
> > someone mentions velour or any of the other dead dinosaur fabrics.  Then
> > someone eats their chocolate and the world comes back into perspective.
> >
> > Medieval Encampments was never meant to be Authenticity city.  It was
> > supposed to be devoted to making your encampment better, one step at a time
> > and it does that mostly.
>
>I've got to agree, from what I've seen, Gunthar. While I do disagree
>with Wanda on the garage shelters, having weathered out a couple of
>Pennsic blowhards in mine, properly staked, of course,, they really
>aren't usually as aggressive as they appeared at that point. I didn't
>get a single complaint when I was discussing turning a modern canvas
>tarp into a wedge tent, although admitedly I didn't get any
>suggestions as to a paint I could use to decorate it a bit. Think I'm
>going to try cheapy Walmart spray paint, see how that works.
>
>Meantime, today I picked up a wooden vise that, if not provably
>period, will at least look good AND be functional with the period
>style smithy I'm trying to put together. Might still put a green belt
>on it, so everybody will know it's my apprentice ;-)
>
>Hey, no reason we have to take ourselves TOO seriously ;-)
>

>--
>Saint Phlip

The tone on the medieval encampment list has changed a lot.  I was
originally looking for ways to help my camp get better looking, but .. any
more .. the conversations on there just don't help.
I have quite a few people camping with me, a great many of which are
depending on me to house and feed them. Period techniques are great, but
not affordable or workable by one person.

As to painting canvas, use house paint!! That latex stuff you put on the
walls sticks to canvas just fine, and covers just fine.  I've got a table
top covered in canvas that I painted 13 years ago, and the paint on it is
just fine. It's the canvas wearing at the edges of the table, and the
accumulated grime from weather that is making it look tacky.

Cheers,
Maggie