[Sca-cooks] Other list

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon Apr 23 18:44:22 PDT 2007

Ranvaig commented:

<<<
> As to painting canvas, use house paint!! That latex stuff you put
> on the
> walls sticks to canvas just fine, and covers just fine.  I've got a
> table
> top covered in canvas that I painted 13 years ago, and the paint on
> it is
> just fine. It's the canvas wearing at the edges of the table, and the
> accumulated grime from weather that is making it look tacky.

I've heard of using house paint on canvas to make floor coverings,
but not sure about using it for a tent. You might want to test first.
Are you coloring the whole canvas or just a design? Paint might
effect the waterproofness of the canvas, which depends on it being
able to absorb enough water to swell.  >>>

Actually, yes, it will affect the waterproofness, but not as I think
you are suggesting it will. Paint will make the canvas waterproof.
The problem is in how completely you paint the tent. If you make a
large portion of the tent waterproof then the canvas won't breath and
any moisture inside the tent, such as from your breath will condense
and eventually drip over everything. If you just paint decorative
stripes or designs then it shouldn't be enough to effect things. This
is the reason you often see nylon tents made with a breathable nylon
on top and a waterproof nylon on the floor and up the walls a way.
Then a waterproof tarp to cover the tent but not touching it so the
moisture can escape through the breathable portion.

<<< The paint might crack where it
is folded.  It also could effect the flammability, which might not
matter for most people, but might if you are using the tent to forge.
I'd suggest dye, myself. >>>

I'm not sure that the latex is flammable, but I would minimize the
use of anything which would make a tent more flameable whether it is
used for a forge or more usual uses. This is also why I've been leery
of the supposedly period waterproofing of a cloak by saturating it
with beeswax.

See the tents-painting-msg file I just mentioned in another thread
for more comments on this subject.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas