[Sca-cooks] Serving One Dish at a time

ranvaig at columbus.rr.com ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Tue Apr 24 22:54:45 PDT 2007

>In a message dated 4/19/2007 10:48:23 PM Mountain Daylight Time, Terry Decker
>writes:
>
>>  Serving everything at one time isn't a very period practice.  Since feasts
>>  were meant to cover an extended period, sending out individual dishes (a
>>  primarily German practice, if the references are correct) or sending out
>>  groups of dishes as courses would be more likely.  Bread would have been on
>>  the table and would be replenished during the meal.  The table would be
>  > cleared by the almoner and his waiters between courses.
>  > Bear

As it happens, I just finished transcribing the menus from Rumpolt.
The menu for Bauren and Kings have one dish at a time, but the other
menus have 3-4 courses of many dishes.

The more I look at it the menu for Kings of Hungary and Bavaria,
looks different than the rest.  The picture shows people in turbans,
I wonder if this is suggested as a menu suitable for foreigners.

http://www.geocities.com/ranvaig/medieval/menus.pdf

Ranvaig