[Sca-cooks] Cake Imposters of Reniassance Dance Books

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Mon Apr 2 12:41:42 PDT 2007

This was just posted to SCA_Subtleties but the pictures should be shared
with a larger audience. Lady Magdalena Vogelsang has again done a great
job on her
Terpsichore cakes.

Johnnae

Was written--

This past Saturday was our annual local SCA dance
event Terpsichore at the Tower XIII. As per usual, I
was organizing the Dessert Revel and making cake
subtleties for same.

Last year, I did cake versions of 2 well known
Renaissance dance manuals, Arbeau's 'Orchesographie'
and Caroso's 'Il Ballarino'.

This year I continued that theme by doing two more
well known dance manuals, Cesare Negri's 'Le Gratie
d'Amore / Nuove Inventioni Di Balli' (1602) and John
Playford's 'The English Dancing Master' (1651)

Photos, and descriptions of how they were made can be
found here:

http://www.geocities.com/magdacakes/Negri.html
<http://www.geocities.com/magdacakes/Negri.html>
http://www.geocities.com/magdacakes/Playford.html
<http://www.geocities.com/magdacakes/Playford.html>

They were sufficiently convincing that several people
mistook them for real books and tried to turn the
pages.

-Magda-

Lady Magdalena Vogelsang O.W.
Barony of Cynnabar, Midrealm