[Sca-cooks] Volunteering in a feast kitchen

Vitaliano Vincenzi vitaliano at shanelambert.com
Tue Apr 3 16:55:35 PDT 2007

Ok, Adamantius started us off on a great thread about cooking as a
hobby, and it got me thinking about a recent experience I had at an
event. I will not mention the event or anyone that was involved as I
don't want to place blame or upset anyone.

I attended an event within the past 3 months and volunteered my services
in the kitchen of the Feast Steward. Initially I was welcomed by other
kitchen staff and was given a few tasks, which I did willingly. However,
later in the day when the real work started, I was basically ignored and
made to feel as if I didn't belong, so I left the kitchen upset.

Now, I saw that they had things well at hand, and I understand if they
didn't need my help. What upset me was that I was simply ignored in the
kitchen as if I didn't belong there. A simple "thanks, but we have
things well at hand" would have left me feeling a lot better, but I
didn't even get a "get out of my kitchen."

My question to this group is am I wrong for feeling hurt by this? I know
that when I have worked in other feast kitchens there was plenty to do
and I was more than willing to help. And when there wasn't anything left
to be done, I left and enjoyed the rest of the event. Personally, I
would never leave someone hanging like I was at that event, but I guess
that is just me.

Am I wrong here? What are your thoughts on this?

--
Lord Vitaliano Vincenzi
aka Shane Lambert