[Sca-cooks] online cookbooks and cookbook reviews

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Apr 4 18:54:43 PDT 2007

Vitaliano replied:
<<< Yes, sorry, I am looking at early 15th century for all courses -
no time
traveling allowed. :) The books you mention, what period are they from?
A quick online search at our Library doesn't show that they are
available locally, but I will have our Librarian do a state wide search
and see if see if she can find them. It's nice that our shires seneschal
is also a librarian. :) >>>

Well, you might want to take a look through these files and see if
any of the online period cookbooks might be of use. These are mostly
originals and translations but if you need redactions there may be
some sites in this list with some. These are in the FOOD-BOOKS section.

online-ckbks-lst  (12K) 12/18/06    A list of online medieval
cookbooks and food
                                        manuscripts by Thomas Grozier.
online-ckbks-msg  (54K)  7/28/06    Online versions of period cookbooks.

Since you are thinking of doing a librarian do a state-wide search,
are you interested in just period manuscripts or are you interested
in books that have the authors redactions as well? This annotated
bibliography in the same section might be useful to check for which
books might be worth doing an ILL on.
cookbooks-bib     (44K)  2/15/04    Cookbook bib. by Mistress Jaelle
of Armida.

Here are a pair of cookbooks in the FOOD-MANUSCRIPTS section that
might be of use for your 15th century specification.
And they're available and free. I'm afraid I can't remember which
cultures other than Greek and Spanish you were looking into.
Eberhard-art      (91K)  6/29/05    A 15th century German recipe
collection
                                        translated by Giano Balestriere.
Konigsberg-art    (28K)  6/29/05    A 15th century cookbook from East
Prussia
                                        translated by Giano Balestriere.

Stefan
--------