[Sca-cooks] so ... what do YOU eat.

Kathleen A Roberts karobert at unm.edu
Mon Aug 13 09:04:43 PDT 2007

camping?  depends where and when.  i used to do food plans
for husband's knight, friends and stray wanderers...
anywhere from 8 to 12.  then i stopped because, quite
frankly, even with pre-cooking, i was not only cooking but
herding cats 3/4 of the time and not having fun.

it's just the two of us now, with the occasional student
and husband.  life is simpler.  i have also found that we
don't eat a lot when camping.  tea in the a.m., maybe spam
and eggs one day (pray do not recoil in horror - spam
fried crunchy) or a breakfast bread, lunch - well, there's
meat, cheese and bread in the cooler.  whether we eat it
or not is another matter; dinner - steak, chicken, some
pretense of veggie.  crackers and pretzels always around.

of course, it is easy so i can save my cooking strength
for siege cooking when it is offered. ;)

this past estrella issued an interesting challenge... how
little grey water i could generate.  we ate very well and
did not generate much waste water, due in large part to
paper plates, tin foil, and foil baking dishes.

pre-made breakfast burritos and wrapped in foil.
instant oatmeal if needed
tea

lunch meat, cheese and bread whenever we felt like lunch

grilled steak, pork chops, hamburgers and chicken breast
on any given night, accompanied by instant taters (the
fancy single pack mashed ones), frozen steak fries on the
grill and tin foil hobo pouched veggies.

it was a hassle getting the gas grill into the pickup, but
it worked like a dream being used as either grill or
warmer.  the side burner worked great for hot water.

cailte
ready for next year

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy which
sustained him through temporary periods of joy."
W. B. Yeats
Kathleen Roberts
Coordinator of Freshman Admissions
University of New Mexico