[Sca-cooks] [Sca-Cooks] To 10 pantry items

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Tue Aug 14 08:57:49 PDT 2007

On Aug 14, 2007, at 11:13 AM, Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise wrote:

>> It's really no big deal. It's made from fish. It tastes like fish. It
>> is _not_ rotten. It's got a lot of salt in it. Use it in place of
>> salt in dishes for which a fishy flavor is a reasonable expectation.
>
> Yes. It's *fermented*, not rotten. Like sauerkraut, soy sauce, and
> tabasco.

Generally, yes, but sometimes it isn't even fermented, apparently.
I've had completely non-sour fish sauces which appear to be more or
less free of any chemical activity other then enzymatic degradation.
Those taste like heavily salted, pureed, oily fish run through a
centrifuge, with the clear liquid on top drained off and bottled.

I assume it depends on how much salt you use, but I believe some of
the recipes do give proportions of salt to fish.

Adamantius