[Sca-cooks] [Sca-Cooks] To 10 pantry items / garum?

Suey lordhunt at gmail.com
Tue Aug 14 18:34:45 PDT 2007

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa wrote I think in reference to fermented fish sauce:

>> It's really no big deal. It's made from fish. It tastes like fish. It
>> is _not_ rotten. It's got a lot of salt in it. Use it in place of
>> salt in dishes for which a fishy flavor is a reasonable expectation.
>>

> Yes. It's *fermented*, not rotten. Like sauerkraut, soy sauce, and
> tabasco.

So basically my question is can we call garum from Greece, liguamen in
Roman times and murri in Al Andalus all the same ? All I see is Lazaro
Lagosterna in
http://www.grupogastronomicogaditano.com/Articulos/ElaboracionEmpleoGarum.htm
***
*is that he tries to make a distinction but has no citations as Terry
Decker will cry when she sees it. In meantime I do object to the editor
who claims he must charge me $7 or pounds  to take 6 months to send me
the information I desire and so far cannot even confirm my order for the
Grainger article in Petits Propos Culineires. Around here we speed up
sharing information with multi-functional printers that can scan and can
record to email the desired info to help others out in such a  case.
    In the meantime I'm with you Jawdiga if you're with me, why split
peas for regional names so to speak and recipes when we lack  more
substantial citations. The bottom line for me is that I am talking
fermented fish sauce due to the addition of lots of salt ble, ble, ble
no? whatever what you want to name it? Or do we have to pin-split names
cause the fish is inside out or outside in when fermenting?
Suey
Sue    In
In the
://www.grupogastronomicogaditano.com/Articulos/ElaboracionEmpleoGarum.htma