[Sca-cooks] Boil-in bag meals question

Helen Schultz meisterin02 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 16 11:46:19 PDT 2007

Thanks for the input, guys... the FoodSaver was the one that was $100... I just couldn't remember the name of it until I saw it in type here.  I'llhave to consider my options, then.  It sounds like a much better option than regular ziplock baggies (which always seem to let water in <sigh>).

I do like the idea of having everything done ahead of time, and may use some of the options for Pennsic next year.

  By the way, I did have a leg of lamb that I brought out to Pennsic this year (with bone), that I thought would stay frozen much longer than it did.  But, it was purchased from Sam's Club in one of those seal-a-meal type bags, and even though it had been thawed out for nearly a week (kept on ice, though), it tasted wonderful.  It would have been better if marinated, though... so might have to work on that for next year.  I cooked it using my new raised firebed on a spit... made a wonderful mustard/rosemary rub for it.  Our fire wasn't hot enough, so itonly cooked half way through... so we cut up the uncooked parts and put them into a pot to continue cooking and had it two nights in a row... tasted wonderful the first night, and not bad the second.  There was only 5 of us eating when it got cooked, or it probably would have been totally eaten the first night if the other 4 people in our encampment had been there (they came a few days later.  Next time, I WILL start the fire
 myself (my campmate friend wouldn't let me be my usual pyromaniac self <grin>), and I WILL start it much sooner than at 5pm!!  We ended up eating it at nearly 10pm <sigh>.

  Shire of Narrental (Peru, Indiana) http://narrental.home.comcast.net
  Middle Kingdom

  The problem is that we aim too low and hit the mark." -- Michaelangelo