[Sca-cooks] An Excess of Figs

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Aug 21 19:07:52 PDT 2007

Olwen commented:
<<< Figs preserved in honey are not only good, I believe that is also
period. >>>

Yes, they are. From my florilegium figs-msg file:

====
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2000 10:35:13 -0400
From: "Robin Carroll-Mann" <harper at idt.net>
Subject: Re: SC - poached figs in spiced honey syrup

Fruits preserved in syrup with sweet spices are period.  For example,
the _Libre de Totes Maneres de Confits_ says to preserve dates in
honey with ginger and cloves.  I haven't come across a recipe for dates
in spiced syrup, though Apicius and Platina say that one can preserve
fresh figs by placing them in honey, not touching each other.

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)
====

There are several period recipes in there as well, including one for
something resembling fig newtons.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas