[Sca-cooks] a note on modern Mongolian food-

Laura C. Minnick lcm at jeffnet.org
Fri Aug 24 22:19:28 PDT 2007

So my current gripe is about my minions. They
grew up, went to college, and didn't come back!
Wah! Darn those independent, modern girls! My
daughter Annie is in Brooklyn NY, daughter Lydia
is living in Springfield OR, friend Mirm is in
Eugene after going exciting places, Kimi is working in LA, and Kelly...

Kelly just came home from teaching English in
Hohhot, Inner Mongolia (Gee that's fun to say!).
She got to see a lot of China (especially several
petty officers after her wallet and passport were
stolen), and ate her way through most of it (she
aspires to be a food/travel writer). She hasn't
yet had a chance to seriously put down thoughts
about being there, but she has this to say about Mongolian food:

>Mongolian Food! If you like lamb or cumin or
>lots of weird ingredients I don’t know the
>English names for, Mongolian food is for you!
>Mongolian milk tea is a key part of any good
>Mongolian meal, but it’s definitely an acquired
>taste. It’s brewed from a fairly standard black
>tea (which comes in bricks!) and then you mix it
>with milk and salt. That last bit is why it’s an
>acquired taste. But after a few bowls of it,
>your taste buds realign themselves and it’s
>really quite enjoyable. Add to that, bowls of
>roasted millet with sweetened sour cream, a
>stack of cumin encrusted mutton ribs, and a
>plate of dry tofu with “thousand-year eggs”
>(some kind of mild preserved egg - they’re
>tasty) and you’ve got yourself a meal. Mmm
(feshnik
never mind)

Once I extract more from her, I'll pass it on...

'Lainie