[Sca-cooks] Honey, I'm Home...

Saint Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Wed Aug 29 14:12:50 PDT 2007

On 8/29/07, Lilinah <lilinah at earthlink.net> wrote:
> Well, it wasn't home to me. Perhaps after another time or two, with
> less rain :-)
>
> Kiri wrote:
> >Unfortunately, this was not the best Pennsic for you to attend... the weather
> >was unusually rotten... though, according to traditional calculations, it was
> >due to be a "Pennsic Puddle!"  The traditional calculations are that any
> >Pennsic whose number is evenly divisible by 4 will be a puddle... because
> >Pennsic 4 was a puddle, and it has pretty much followed that ever since.
> >Hopefully, Urtatim, you'll be able to come back for a Pennsic in a dry year!
>
> Well, there were so many days of rain... far more than i heard was
> usual (whatever "usual" is for Pennsic). Even before i left Cooper's
> Lake i threw away the cotton drop cloth i use as my pavilion floor
> over my "ubiquitous blue tarp" and i've got some mildewed stuff that
> i will have to replace (i got to wash it in hot water and bleach at
> my cousin's house in Columbus Ohio on the 15th, so it isn't still
> alive...).

Really, it wasn't as bad as many years. Weather was fairly moderate,
both including rain and heat. Yeah, you don't want to hear that, but
in a really hot year, we actually get hot down where we camp, and in a
really wet year, we have a fair amount of mud before the willows suck
the water up. This year, we didn't even bother to put the floor down
in the kitchen tent.

> And while i know it's usually hot and humid at Pennsic, is it usually
> so suffocatingly humid? Sometimes i was partially "blinded" even if i
> wasn't moving, because sweat was pouring off my face, and the salty
> liquid kept getting in my eyes.

Well, as much rain as we had wasn't enough to clear the air, and there
wasn't enough heat to dry things quickly. A good T-storm coming
through, as opposed to the soggies, which is what we had, would have
cleared the weather nicely. OTOH, it likely would have taken out a few
tents and trees.

> I had fun working for Devra for two afternoons. And besides Stefan
> and Ranvaig I actually saw a number of listees, such as Jadwiga, even
> though i didn't get to say hello.
>
> However, i never saw a Tuchuk... so my experience wasn't quite complete...
>
> Maybe next year...
> --
> Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
> the persona formerly known as Anahita

Well, glad you made it, and sorry you didn't make it down to our camp.
Maybe next year...

I rarely made it out because of all the smithing we were doing.

--
Saint Phlip

Heat it up
Hit it hard
Repent as necessary.

Priorities:

Denial of evidence is not refutation of evidence.

Blessed be the self-righteous, for they shall inherit themselves.