[Sca-cooks] OT OOP What do you call ... leftovers

Christine Seelye-King kingstaste at mindspring.com
Thu Aug 30 13:48:08 PDT 2007

Lol - well there you go.  It is a period word after all - I think I may even
have seen the Shakespearean reference long ago - just never worried about
documenting that one very much!  
Thanks Ranvaig, now I can go and eat my orts with confidence ;)

>Somewhere, in the dim recesses of time (my early days in the SCA - late
>70's, early 80's) someone told me that a period term for leftovers was
>"orts".  Orts is has been in my house ever since (don't think I've ever run
>across that actual reference to be able to confirm or deny it myself, but
>I've always liked the word ;) )


Ort \Ort\, n.; pl. Orts. [Akin to LG. ort, ortels, remnants of food, refuse,
OFries. ort, OD. oorete, ooraete; prob. from the same prefix as in E. ordeal
+ a word akin to eat.]

A morsel left at a meal; a fragment; refuse; -- commonly used in the plural.
Let him have time a beggar's orts to crave. --Shak.
Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913)


More information about the Sca-cooks mailing list