[Sca-cooks] Pork and apple pie
devra at aol.com
devra at aol.com
Fri Aug 31 09:16:20 PDT 2007
Since Nina asked for this, I'm sending it on. It's a very nice recipe.
Pork and Apple Pie, from Lady Marian of Edwinstowe (Old Marian)
9 inch pie shell, upper and lower crust plus more for ornaments if desired
1 lb lean pork, diced
2 chopped onions (medium)
2 apples - peeled, cored, sliced - I don't bother peeling
.25 to .5 tspn cinnamon
.25 to .5 tspn ground cloves
.25 to .75 tspn rubbed sage
.25 to .5 tspn salt
.25 tspn ground pepper
2 tblspns butter
.25 to .5 C water, as needed - I've never needed it myself
a good handful each of raisins, currants, slivered blanched almonds or pinenuts
egg, beaten, to wash crust - optional
1. Preheat oven to 425* and pre-bake bottom pie shell 5 - 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 - 375.
2. In large pot, melt butter
3. Add all ingredients except the water and the egg. Cook, stirring occasionally, until pork is cooked and apples and onions are tender. Add water only if mixture becomes very dry. Adjust seasoning to taste.
4. Place in crust and cover with top crust. Crimp edges, and cut 1 inch hole in top crust. Coat with beaten egg and pastry cut-outs for decoration if desired.
5. Bake in 350 - 375* oven until crust is done - 25-30 minutes.
You may want to add much more seasoning. I've also tried it with ginger and a little cardamom. Easy on the salt - the dinners can always add more.
This doubles very nicely and freezes well. To make pasties, cut meat smaller.
This is a crowd pleaser.
Email and AIM finally together. You've gotta check out free AOL Mail! - http://mail.aol.com
More information about the Sca-cooks