[Sca-cooks] Sugar sponge

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Tue Aug 7 17:11:22 PDT 2007

The process for turbinado would be to spin the spin the sugar in some form
of container and inject steam into the container to remove non-sucrose
particles.  It is not necessarily a process that would require a steam
turbine engine, which is a different critter mechanically.  I do suspect
that the process is 20th Century and developed in Hawaii (with the caveat
that I have no clinching evidence for either assertion).

There is some evidence turbinado process is a modern variant of an earlier
washing technique for sugar, but I don't have enough details to determine
whether the process referred to is the slow moisture cleaning done in
claying or a different kind of washing.  Claying was the common medieval and
renaissance technique.  If there is a different washing technique, then it
may not be pre-17th Century.

Bear