[Sca-cooks] Help finding out-of-print sources

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Wed Aug 29 10:55:37 PDT 2007

Before there was EEBO, there was microfilm and a number of
university and college libraries have the Epulario on microfilm.
Repeat---
Even if they don't have EEBO, they have the book on microfilm.
It's part of what was UMI Early English Books I.
It's based on titles found in Pollard & Redgrave, Short Title Catalogue I.
The microfilm series began in 1938.

You are looking for:

Epulario, or The Italian banquet [microform] : wherein is shewed the
maner how to dresse and prepare all kind of flesh, foules or fishes. As
also how to make sauces, tartes, pies, &c. After the maner of all
countries. With an addition of many other profitable and necessary
things. Translated out of Italian into English. 1598.
Microfilm. Ann Arbor, Mich. : UMI, 1953. 1 microfilm reel ; 35
mm. (Early English books, 1475-1640; 539:8). s1953
That means it was filmed and released in 1953 and is on reel 539, item
number 8.

Most university and college libraries allow members of the general public
to use the microfilm collections in the library. Many that won't allow
access
with printing  for EEBO, will allow you come, read and print from
the microfilm. Call ahead and determine that they
have the collection. Find out what the reader-printer or reader scanners
need
in terms of coins or if they take credit cards. Hours? Parking?

Go and spend a day at it or part of day at the library. Trust me, it's a
relatively easy
way to get a copy made.

Johnnae