[Sca-cooks] Breakfasts

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sat Aug 18 13:36:18 PDT 2007

Glancing through my backlog of digests from when I was away at
Pennsic, I saw a thread on breakfasts started by Katia.

Katia, first welcome to the SCA-Cooks list! Secondly, as Bear points
out medieval breakfasts, when eaten at all, tended to vary a bit from
what folks today would consider breakfast. However, there are a
number of period recipes for foods which meet today's idea of
breakfasts, even if they didn't tend to be eaten first thing in the
morning.  A number of these have already been detailed in other
messages.

You might also want to glance at this file in the FOOD section of the
Florlegium:
breakfast-msg     (88K) 12/14/03    What's for breakfast? SCA and
period.

<<< Much like a kettle of french toast but done in a cast iron pot
would be not only doable but also very very easy for my volunteers to
fix. >>>

I'm not sure how the cast iron pot comes in, since I thought French
Toast tended to be grilled, but there are these two files in the FOOD-
BREADS section of the Florilegium:
3-F-Toast-Rec-art  (8K)  8/17/03    "Period French Toast Recipes"
                                        by Lady Hauviette d’Anjou.
French-Toast-art  (27K)  3/31/00    "From Lost Bread to French Toast" by
                                        Christianna MacGrain.
French-Toast-msg  (21K) 11/14/04    Period French Toast. Recipes.

Of course since Maple syrup is a bit post period, I'd look for a
different topping for these. :-)

Other possibilities:
bagels-msg         (8K)  3/23/06    Period bagels.
fried-breads-msg  (22K)  9/12/06    Period fried breads. Funnel
cakes, donuts.
oakcakes-msg      (20K)  3/26/06    Period oatcakes.
pancakes-msg      (51K) 11/20/04    Period pancakes and pancake-like
foods.
porridges-msg     (50K)  4/ 6/07    Period porridges and gruels.
eggs-msg         (164K)  4/29/06    Egg storage. Recipes. Substitutions.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com