[Sca-cooks] Sca-cooks Digest, Vol 16, Issue 55

Christiane christianetrue at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 27 14:58:14 PDT 2007

>"...strange pastries filled with lamb and chocolate..."
>

>Ah, the source of the Chocolate Easter Lamb is now revealed...

>No, really, I don't think that 0- it's just a silly joke.  The Chocolate Bunny, on the other hand...

>Devra, slowly recovering from Pennsic

Actually, you are not too far off from chocolate Easter lambs, as these pastries are usually a traditional Easter treat. They're called 'mpanatigghie. Fillings are minced veal, or beef, or lamb, or kid, cinnamon, toasted almonds, sugar, and chocolate.

Here's a picture of some, and a description in Italian:
http://www.prodotti-tipici-siciliani.it/prodotto.cfm?ID=69

Here's a recipe for the beef version in Italian:
http://www.alcapa.com/Dettaglio.asp?ID=14413

And one with veal:
http://www.ilcucinario.it/RICETTE%20STAMPA/RICETTE%20DOLCI/DOLCI%20032.htm

Haven't found one for lamb, yet; I've only read that it was "traditional" to do them with lamb. Probably tastes changed and the easier availability of beef or veal in the years after WWII had something to do with that.

Gianotta