[Sca-cooks] Precious stones to ward off evils

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sun Dec 2 16:14:38 PST 2007

On Dec 2, 2007, at 4:50 PM, Suey wrote:

>>> Spanish called the stone "ijada de piedra" or "stone of the kidney."
> As I die in 1474, jade is not in my book.  Hate to break someone's
> bubble but "ijada" is "loin" in English.

I'm not sure if a direct translation is or is not appropriate here;
isn't "kidney" "riñon"? However, the loin is where the kidney is
located, unless one specifically is referring to loins as genitalia.
It's a reasonably understandable error.

>  Apart from that it is
> perfectly logical to me that stones were used to protect against
> specific organs of the body, humors, elements etc.

I vaguely remember something about carnelians and bleeding...

Adamantius

The quick ref I'm looking at translates "ijada" as flank and "piedra de
ijada" as flank stone.  It derives from the Latin "ilia" and becomes jade
from the French "l'ejade."

Bear