[Sca-cooks] Cannoli Tubes/Forms

Martha Oser osermart at msu.edu
Thu Dec 6 12:21:48 PST 2007

> would anyone on the e-mail list have tried using wood dowels
> to form cannolis? would anyone on the e-mail list have tried
> to make aluminum cannoli tubes/forms?
>
> the reason for making them is i have supplies on hand to make
> the cannoli tubes, i am just wondering if the additional time
> and effort to make the aluminum cannoli tubes/forms is worth it.
>
> --
> terry l. ridder ><>

I have tried making a fried shell for a similar purpose, using both wooden
dowels and metal forms.  The wooden dowels will work, but the wood will
start to cook and darken at the ends where it sticks out from the dough
after a while.  This will eventually affect the life of your cooking oil and
the flavor of the finished product.

Also, I found that the fried product was kind of hard to remove from the
wood as it tended to stick a little.  I think the rougher texture of the
wood let the dough grab on more.  Getting the fried shells off the metal
forms was infinitely easier!  I'd definitely recommend using metal over
wood, and also just buying a set of metal forms rather than spending time
and effort making your own.  They're cheap enough that it's worth it not to
waste the time.

I think I bought a set of 4 small forms (they come in two sizes) from this
outfit:

http://www.fantes.com/cannoli.htm

Notice that they also have cone-shaped molds for making cream horn shells.

There are also a variety of options available on Amazon.com.  Just do a
Google search for "cannoli forms" and see what comes up.

Best,

Helena