[Sca-cooks] Freezing sausage

Michael Gunter countgunthar at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 7 08:13:56 PST 2007

My 12th Night feast is going to be a bit unusual in preparation
because there won't be much for kitchen facilities. So I'll be
making a lot of it ahead of time and reheating it in boiling bags
in hot water over Turkey Fryers.

This weekend I'm making 60 lbs of bratwurst and I'm wondering
if anyone has had experience freezing and reheating cooked
sausage. I've made sausage before and froze it uncooked. It
cooked up just fine after thawing. But has anyone frozen cooked
sausage and then reheated it?

I'm worried about degradation of the texture. Although the boiling
bags are very forgiving and are much easier on reheating food I
still would prefer not to get an unpleasant surprise. I can cook them
on site in the big stockpots of water but would prefer to keep
the water clean if at all possible.

Any thoughts?

Gunthar