[Sca-cooks] cookie rolling question

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Fri Dec 14 08:17:45 PST 2007

One thing I have done over the years is acquire a selection of rolling pins
and depending on the doughs and how I am feeling, I switch off from pin
to pin.
Weight does make a difference. Sometimes I want marble; sometimes non-stick.
Also rolling out on silpat sheet or something like that also makes a
difference.
And the height of the table on which I am rolling. Must I stand or can I
use a stool?
Sometime it's not the fingers that
ache-- it's the motion in the wrists that hurts. I can well understand
where you are coming from.
I suppose that I am lucky in that the medications that I take  for
the knee (degenerative arthritis there now) have helped my hands
so that they don't bother me as much as they once did.
I don't have the pasta attachment for my Kitchenaid. I have two manual
pasta machines
with all the attachments so I have used those for various things over
the years. One thing
that I wonder about is what sort of dough your heirloom cookie recipe
produces. I can see
that soft, really butter filled doughs falling apart and not working
well when run through the Kitchenaid. There are so many
variations on cookie doughs- those that can be rolled repeatedly, those
that must be rolled gently.
Some also must be chilled or allowed to rest, etc.
My thought would be to try
a quarter of the recipe through the machine and see what you get. It
can't hurt and if it works
well let us all know.

Johnnae