[Sca-cooks] Virtual Cookie Exchange

Susan Fox selene at earthlink.net
Sat Dec 22 10:53:57 PST 2007

Scotch Shortbread

2 parts* butter [real, salted]
1 part sugar [any old sugar is ok, some like powdered, I like brown]
3 part flour
1 part rice flour or cornstarch

Cream butter and sugar, add flours and mix really well. Pat it down well
into a shortbread mold, pie pan or muffin tins, at least 1/2 inch thick
and preferably thicker. Bake at 375 for 10 minutes, then turn the oven
down to 325 and bake an additional 25-30 minutes or until just golden brown.

* "part" as  volume measure like 1 cup.

If you can get rice flour, use it.  Mochiko will do fine.  There is
something about the slight gritty "bite" that sends every Scot to whom
I've fed this, straight back to their grandmother's kitchen.  Cornstarch
or other non-wheat flour if you can't get rice flour.  Oh alright, you
can use just four parts plain white flour if you have to but it won't be
as "short".

 From Selene Colfox, of normal height.  ;-)