[Sca-cooks] Happy Festivus To All, plus Xmas menus for those who do that...

Lilinah lilinah at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 24 01:07:12 PST 2007

I've seen several mentions on this very list of "frog eye salad".
While i am certain it does not involve actual frog's eyes, i don't
know what is in it. Anyone care to elucidate?

Back in the Chicagoland area in the 50s and 60s, my family used to
have basically the same menu for Christmas dinner as for Thanksgiving
dinner: a salad - most likely a wedge of iceberg lettuce with
Thousand Island dressing, roast turkey with Pepperidge Farm stuffing,
green beans with almonds (or maybe canned Le Seuer baby peas), baked
sweet potatoes (or, gag, marshmallow topped sweet potato casserole -
i have memories of canned candied sweet potatoes)... I don't remember
what else, i'm sure there was more.

The basic difference between the two meals was pumpkin pie on
Thanksgiving and my mother's wonderful chocolate roll on Christmas -
a flourless chocolate cake baked in a jelly roll pan, slathered with
homemade whipped cream then rolled up, topped with a very fudgey
icing, then dotted with roasted pecans. I gather her recipe came from
her mother, but i don't know where it originated. It looks a lot like
some buche de Noel, without the meringue mushrooms.

For my Winter Holiday dinner Tuesday, I'm having - gasp - Tofurkey
(they have been improved over my first exploit, if anyone recalls my
report), broccoli, a baked sweet potato, homemade cranberry sauce -
and i may splurge and buy a slice of German chocolate cake tomorrow
from a local bakery.

I cooked a little roast made of turkey meat for Thanksgiving, but it
wasn't all that great and i am actually looking forward to the
Tofurkey.

I'm eating alone - the next day i'll be driving down to San Diego,
picking up my daughter in LA on the way down.

Maybe we'll make Huette's infamous pecan pie in SD. I made one for
Thanksgiving and i'm surprised that folks on this list couldn't hear
me moaning with pleasure as i ate it over the course of the week. It
got two thumbs up from me - and i'm pointing my big toes up, too :-)

--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita

My LibraryThing