[Sca-cooks] Gems preventing poisoning

Suey lordhunt at gmail.com
Wed Dec 26 16:36:59 PST 2007

    Mark pointed out that I haven't replied to Emilio's message
concerning precious stones worn to prevent poisoning. I am very grateful
to your contributions Emilio but I have a little problem with your
citations in Italian, German and Middle English. I am lost sir. My
apologies for my delay, Emilio, I have been walking down fast lane after
the Intensive Carry Unit and more hospitalization in November and being
released from there into the mad Christmas rush.
    My reference to this subject comes from Luis Alonso Luengo's speech
on the Suero de Quinones jousting tournament in 1434, who unkindly does
not give his source here but quotes that the stones worn on the fingers
which were the 'ruby, diamond, jacinth or hyacinth, coral and sard or
carnelian plus lapidary.' He goes on to the cold stone: diamond; hot:
"mannera"; and "galacio," 'which attracts clouds'??? Why do we want to
attract clouds?
    Curious the diamond, mentioned twice, after what you said Emilio,
that they were not properly polished until the latter part of the 15th
C. On the other hand, I find Alonso Luengo the most faithful to
documents concerning what was said in this conference on Spanish Leonese
cooking, the speeches of which were published in 1994. Alonso is right
on with Villena and Sanchez Albornoz quotes.
    I really would appreciate any specific info on the qualities of the
stones mentioned above to prevent poisoning, hot or cold, relations to
the four humors etc. This is fascinating to me.
Suey