[Sca-cooks] Gems preventing poisoning

Suey lordhunt at gmail.com
Thu Dec 27 14:13:51 PST 2007

    On diamonds, Emilio wrote that as they were not polished properly
until the 1450's he believes them an error but the original source turns
out to be Juan de Encina who wrote this between 1439-1440 and mentions
them twice in the text on Suero de Quiñones jousting tournament.
    Got a gem of a gem today - "galicio". There was an area in Turkey
today called Galicia and there is that of Spain. I find no scientific
name for this. It comes from Encina as well. Does anyone have any idea
what this could be? I cannot even fathom a color for it. 'It freed
eaters of poisonous foods and other misfortunes that could occur while
eating.'
Suey