[Sca-cooks] Fw: OT & OOP: Beowulf

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sat Dec 1 16:56:23 PST 2007

> I do enjoy some "male-oriented" films - action films and horror
> movies (but not some of the very cruel recent ones). However, i've
> never fantasized about gigantic pecs and shoulders and washboard abs
> all shiny with oil - Beowulf was just a bit too "glossie" in the
> trailers i saw - looked more like an entrant in a body building
> competition (not a fantasy of mine), and not a Medieval hero.

Ah, but Beowulf isn't a Medieval hero.  He's really among the last of the
Bronze Age heroes who "took valor" and followed the warrior's road to glory
and the immortality of being remembered long after they were gone.  Most of
the movie is glossy and designed to titillate modern senses, but on a couple
of occasions, they capture the essence of Beowulf the warrior, but not often
enough for my taste.

> I suspect that the film did benefit from 3D - is it in 3D everywhere
> or just in special theaters?.

I believe that some showings are 3D while others are not.

> I saw those 3D Warhol films back in the 70s (Frankenstein and
> Dracula) for which viewers were given polarizing lens in cheap
> frames. Nothing like the effect of a bit of internal organ hanging
> off the end of a gaff over your lap. Ah, the memories of my youth...
> --
> Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
> the persona formerly known as Anahita

I didn't catch any of the 3D movies in the 70s, but I did see some of the
ones in the 50s.  AFAIK, all of the 3D effects depend on the fact that the
eye can not properly focus on both red and blue at the same time.  The new
glasses have one lense tinted red while the other is tinted blue (I was able
to ascertain that from colored lights on a clock in the theater), just like
the old cellophane 3D glasses, but the optic qualities are far superior.  I
think the new glasses use polarization to reduce or eliminate scattering
effects and sharpen the image.

Bear