[Sca-cooks] 1500'S French cookbooks

Nancy Kiel nancy_kiel at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 6 14:03:30 PST 2007

Thank you!  This is very interesting and gives me lots of ideas for sauces.Nancy Kielnancy_kiel at hotmail.comNever tease a weasel!This is very good advice.For the weasel will not like itAnd teasing isn't nice.> Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2007 13:03:01 -0500> From: guenievre at erminespot.com> To: sca-cooks at lists.ansteorra.org> Subject: Re: [Sca-cooks] 1500'S French cookbooks> > I can fill in that hole just *slightly* - it's still not 1500's, but it's at> least *later* 1400's - 1466, to be exact.> http://www.erminespot.com/docs/Le%20Recueil%20de%20Riom.pdf> > Don't know if that helps any...> > Guenièvre> > > > On Dec 5, 2007 10:45 AM, Anne-Marie Rousseau <dailleurs at liripipe.com> wrote:> > > Hi from Anne-Marie> >> > When I was doing my research for my French Food in the Renaissance> > CA/Feudal> > Gourmet, I found the same "hole". After Chiquart (which was definitely a> > medieval cookbook in terms of flavorings and techniques), and until la> > Varenne (SO not medieval) there was this big hole...most odd!> >> > And yet somehow in that time, we saw the evolution of the emulsion sauce,> > a> > switch in flavorings, souring agents, etc.> >> > Casteau and his Ovverature de Cuisine seems to be a bridge in that way> > (and> > thanks to Tomas Glonig for making it available to us!) with a foot in both> > the medieval and the "new" styles. He's late 1500s, and more Belgian than> > French, but maybe it will suit your needs?> >> > --Anne-Marie, who thinks the trends in cooking techniques, etc is just as> > much fun as the recipes themselves :)> >