[Sca-cooks] 1500'S French cookbooks

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Wed Dec 5 09:13:54 PST 2007

What happens is that there is a gap in publications in France during
the 16th century.
I can tell you that Le Ouverture has been translated into English.
*Ouverture de Cuisine*
(France, 1604 - Daniel Myers, trans.)
The original source can be found at MedievalCookery.com
<http://www.medievalcookery.com/notes/ouverture.shtm>
It was published in 1604 but Terence Scully indicates that it was
actually written
about 1585. In his new translation of La Varenne, Scully gives us a helpful
list of the books published between 1486 and 1615.
Another that is available of course is Nostradamus's book on
confections. I did
a TI article on that book about 3 years back.
Sorry to be brief with this.This is not a good day for me to sit and type or
be at the computer. They did a massive injection to the knee this am and
I am just going to have to go take some pain pills and put the leg up
with an ice pack. Maybe I can give you a better list by Friday.

Johnnae