[Sca-cooks] Freezing sausage

Elaine Koogler kiridono at gmail.com
Fri Dec 7 16:10:07 PST 2007

That was going to be my suggestion as well...or try making a small
test-sized batch, cook then freeze them.  Let them stay frozen for several
days, then try cooking them as you plan to do them for the feast.

Kiri

On Dec 7, 2007 12:37 PM, Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius <
adamantius1 at verizon.net> wrote:

> On Dec 7, 2007, at 12:23 PM, Michael Gunter wrote:
>

> >> I've not done it myself, but Jimmy Dean does it all the time...why
> >> don't you> purchase a package of the frozen, pre-cooked sausages
> >> and see what they> taste like.
> > My main question about the freezing of cooked sausage is because the
> > major
> > companies may have additives that preserve the meat when reheated. My
> > sausage won't have any.
>
> True, but the additives they're most likely to be using aren't so much
> for any question of textural degradation. That might be fillers and
> stabilizers, but not preservatives.
>
> You could always stop by a decent butcher shop (one which presumably
> won't use all the chemicals) and get some approximation of the brats
> (for example, apart from seasoning, the fresh brats available around
> here are reasonably close to the sweet Italian link sausage in
> content, grind size and size). Get a pound of something, cook, cool
> and freeze, then thaw and reheat tomorrow...
>
> Then you'll probably know for sure.
>
> Adamantius

Learning is a lifetime journey…growing older merely adds experience to
knowledge and wisdom to curiosity.
                   -- C.E. Lawrence