[Sca-cooks] Freezing sausage

Michael Gunter countgunthar at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 10 09:11:14 PST 2007

> Hope that helps? Good luck with your feast! :)> > Katja
It did, thank you. This weekend we made 60 lbs of forcemeat
using equal parts beef chuck & pork shoulder, 1/4 amount of bacon,
marjoram, sage, salt, white pepper and a bit of lard because they
weren't rich enough.

I ordered casings last week but they haven't arrived yet so I used
what I had on hand which was enough for 80 sausages. So I'm
halfway there. There is a German deli in town that I have heard
will process deer meat brought in by hunters and I'm going to call
and see if they will stuff the remainder of the forcemeat for me since
doing 30 lbs of sausages alone with me and my Kitchenaide is a major
pain. They can do it much faster and neater than I. So I'm keeping
my fingers crossed.

I cooked the sausages, cooled them and then sealed in vaccuum
bags, refrigerated and then froze. I'm a little worried they may
have overcooked a bit because they shrunk and were denser than
I wanted and some of the flavor is gone. So I'm worried about they
won't be as tasty as they should. No help for that now, though.

This week I'll be defrosting the venison, slicing it into steaks, lightly
pounding it, marinating and then a very quick broil. The cooked
steaks will be sealed with a sauce of reduced marinating liquid.
That will be served over frumetty.

Thanks for the advice!

Gunthar