[Sca-cooks] Freezing sausage

Michael Gunter countgunthar at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 10 10:22:53 PST 2007

> Blade/butt or picnic? I've had some less-than-best experiences with > picnic, which is attractive because it's usually pretty cheap around > here, but can be disappointing as sausage meat...
Probably butt. It wasn't the size or the texture of picnic. Unfortunately,
Costco isn't quite like a good private butcher so there wasn't a
lot of information.
> Now I usually use a mixture of blade roast and belly meat.

Belly meat would have been nice but I doubt I could have gotten it
from them.

>Sufficient fat without being ridiculous, and it's a nice, firm, sweet
>fat, not like the stringy, too-soft fat on picnics.

This had firm meat, not well marbled, being pork with a nice rind of
not-too-hard fat. The meat was definately not fat enough as I had
to add lard to the forcemeat to get the proper mouth-feel and richness.

They don't look like people expect bratwurst to look like but they are
pretty close to the original.

> Okay, I am informed I've used up my quota of opinionated-ness for the > week. I'll get back to you later...
Nah. You've earned your unlimited opionated-ness badge.
 > Adamantius
Gunthar